background

Monday, November 8, 2010

Coffee, Emails, Butter Tarts

It's been a ridiculously busy weekend in my love life!

When Brian and I parted on Friday, he asked if he could call me, and I said, "Sure!", while staring at the ground.  That's why I needed to figure out how to let him know I wasn't interested.  My post was not complete, sorry!

So, an email was sent to Brian, letting him know he was a really cool, intelligent coffee date, but there was no physical spark there.  If I had received it, my ego would have taken a hit, but what else was the option?  Better than ignoring, right? 

He emailed back with the same message and a "Let's be friends, if you promise you can keep it platonic *winky face*". 

That one, I AM going to ignore.

Then Backburner Brett BBMd me and asked me to do lunch coffee.  I accepted.  That's on for Tuesday.

Josh and I had been emailing and texting furiously on Friday and Saturday, and on Saturday night at about 9, we had an almost 2 hour phone call.  Both of us hung up a few times to tend to little kid needs (his are 10 and 8 - I can't remember if I had reported ages, and if I had, if it was reported accurately), but it was definitely the longest call I've had in 10 years? 

I detest the phone.  I use it to make plans.  That's it.  This is Something.  To keep my nerves down, I told him I was going to put him on speaker and make a wreath while we talked.  There's a lot of anxiety for me in a phone call.  We all know how inconvenient my nervous habit would be during a PHONE CALL.  When would I flush?  Here's what I made, instead.  Maybe it will hang on our door 50 years from now?  In Hollywood, you KNOW it would.


So, we talked for two hours about our children, our parenting, our hobbies, our pasts... it was nice!  Only a couple awkward silences.  Those felt much longer than I'm sure they were.  He asked me for a lunch coffee, set for Thursday (since I'd agreed to a lunch coffee with Brett on Tuesday, and I have a running date with Rylan the gym on M-W-Fs).

Before we hung up, he said, "So, essentially, we've just had our first date!"

Really - we really did!  Single parents do some phone dating!

He added me on Facebook, posted on my wall and texted me this morning.  I think he likes me.

He also asked me this morning to make butter tarts with him next weekend.  I had said the only crusty thing I'd ever be tempted to try baking would be that delectable treat...

I'll save the whole internal struggle over the butter tarts invite for another day...

5 comments:

  1. By "another day" I hope you mean Tuesday. I'm totally jazzed (Bones reference, did ya get it?) on this one...and need all the details and emotions to get the full appreciation of living vicariously through you.

    Sounds great, you're a busy gal...looks like we're in for a darn good reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes! Go SMILF Go! I can't wait to hear more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 things.
    1. Is Josh the guy who 'summers'?
    2. what is a lunch coffee date? did I miss something? Does the guy only spring for a coffee for lunch? What about a slice of pie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh is the guy that "summers".
    Lunch coffee date is a coffee over my lunch break. I dont' think I could fit in a meal in an hour, plus talk, plus not worry the whole time about something in my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this after reading your coffee date question. I still think you should go out with backburner dude, but OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG about JOSH!!!! One thing - his kids are older - is he within an age range that works for you for long-term relating?

    ReplyDelete